Richard Harroch contributed an article to AllBusiness.com entitled, 25 Motivational Quotes to Get You Excited for the Week Ahead.
Most of us have probably used one or more of the techniques as suggested by Richard. Before we dig into the list, we should probably agree on one definition of what motivation really is.
Motivation is a theoretical construct used to explain behavior. It represents the reasons for people’s actions, desires, and needs. Motivation can also be defined as one’s direction to behavior, or what causes a person to want to repeat a behavior and vice versa. According to Maehr and Meyer, “Motivation is a word that is part of the popular culture as few other psychological concepts are.”
Richard says that perseverance, hard work, kindness, drive, creativity and more will help us succeed. I was intrigued by the list of quotations and read through them to determine if I had used the essence of any of these quotations to motivate myself or others. I found that I had consciously used five of them at one time or another. However, you can read the original article here.
Here are the five (5) that resonated with me:
- “The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way” —Dale Carnegie, motivational speaker and author
- “The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are” —J.P. Morgan, American financier
- “Do what you have to do until you can do what you want to do.” —Oprah Winfrey, Chairwoman and CEO of Harpo Productions
- “No one of achievement has avoided failure, sometimes catastrophic failures, but they keep at it. They learn from mistakes. They don’t quit.” —President Barack Obama
- “Be nice to colleagues, customers, co-workers and everyone else you come into contact with at work. No one likes to deal with difficult unfriendly people.” —Richard Harroch, venture capitalist and author
Related Article(s): Motivation… and Managing Your Team
Please “Like” and share your comments. Additional training resources are located here.